Greetings Kae Avenue Families,
Welcome to the Kae Avenue Primary Literacy Campus! We are excited to embark on the new 2018-2019 school year.
Our overarching goal is to ensure that each student graduates from the Kae Avenue Primary Literacy Campus as an active reader. The goal of the campus is that by the end of 1st grade, each Whitehall City Schools student will be an active reader. This means that each student will have the foundational skills of understanding words, can have quality conversations about words, and can use those skills and conversations to move to independence in comprehension of text for purpose and enjoyment. Ultimately, we want to inspire your young learner to love reading!
In order to accomplish this we agree to the following commitments:
- Every student will receive literacy instruction that moves him/her toward being at grade level and becoming an independent, active reader
- Literacy instruction will occur in an uninterrupted literacy block, with daily word work, writing, reading, listening, and speaking activities.
- A timely response to a child’s learning needs will occur, as evidenced by purposeful, daily intervention ( for a minimum of 30 minutes for Kindergarten, and 45 minutes for first grade).
- The scheduled intervention class will be an “extra scoop” of literacy instruction, for every student, every day.
- Intervention will be provided by a certified staff member who knows the child’s specific literacy learning needs and is trained to specifically address those needs.
- An instructional framework will exist in all classrooms that establishes a balance between reading, writing, word work, and developing fluency.
I am proud to lead this amazing endeavour and confident we will see significant positive results in both the area of literacy and numeracy, as we work collaboratively to encourage, inspire, and motivate our children to be lifelong learners and difference-makers!
Respect Yourself, Respect Others, and Respect the School